Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
This chicken quesadilla with pico de gallo is a delicious and flavorful Mexican dish that combines the vibrant flavors of pico de gallo, tender chicken, and melted cheese, all wrapped in a crispy tortilla.
This recipe is perfect for anyone craving a quick and satisfying meal with a spicy kick.
You can prepare this recipe using leftover chicken (skinless chicken breast preferred). If you don’t have any chicken leftovers then start this recipe by cooking your chicken breast:
- Start by seasoning the chicken breast. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken breast. You can also add other herbs and spices according to your preference, such as garlic powder, paprika, or dried herbs like thyme or rosemary. Rub the seasonings gently into the chicken to ensure even distribution.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). If you don’t have an oven, you can also cook chicken breast on the stovetop using a skillet or grill pan. If so, heat a skillet or oven-safe pan on medium-high heat and add a drizzle of olive oil or cooking oil of your choice. Allow the oil to heat up.
- Cook the chicken breast in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (75°C). If you’re using a stovetop method, continue cooking the chicken breast for about 10-15 minutes, flipping it occasionally, until it reaches the safe internal temperature.
- Remember, cooking times may vary depending on the thickness of the chicken breast. If you don’t have a thermometer at hand, gently press the chicken breast with a fork or your finger. If it feels firm and springs back slightly, it is likely cooked. If it feels soft and squishy, it needs more cooking.
The key is to have different layers of aromas and texture, so start fusing flavors together. In a pan, lightly fry the chicken breast to golden brown along with the onions and the peppers.
The (already cooked) chicken is then diced into small pieces, ensuring every bite of the quesadilla is packed with juicy and tasty meat.
Pico de Gallo
Next comes the star of the show, the pico de gallo. This fresh and zesty salsa is made with ripe tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime juice, and salt. The combination of the tangy tomatoes, crunchy onions, and the heat from the jalapeños adds a burst of refreshing flavor to the quesadillas.
Once the chicken and pico de gallo are prepared, it’s time to assemble the quesadillas. The shredded cheese goes first over the tortilla, so that everything is enveloped in gooey deliciousness. Add the seasoned chicken and a generous amount of the vibrant pico de gallo.
The quesadillas are then folded in half, creating a half-moon shape.
To cook the quesadillas, a hot skillet or griddle is used. Each quesadilla is placed on the hot surface, allowing the tortilla to become crispy and golden brown, while the cheese inside melts and binds the filling together. Sear on both sides.
Once fully cooked, the chicken quesadillas are removed from the heat and sliced into wedges, revealing the mouthwatering combination of flavors inside. The cheesy, savory chicken is beautifully complemented by the fresh and tangy pico de gallo and can be enhanced with a spoon of sour cream.
These quesadillas can be served as a main course, accompanied by a side of Mexican rice, creamy guacamole, and sour cream. They also make a fantastic appetizer for parties or gatherings, as their bold flavors and colorful presentation are sure to impress guests.
Find below the ingredient list and detailed recipe instructions for this delicious chicken quesadilla recipe with pico de gallo.
Chicken Quesadilla with Pico de Gallo
- 1 flour tortillas 12 inch
- 80 grams shredded cheese
- 100 grams chicken breast (leftovers or see instructions above)
- ½ red or green pepper
- 1/2 small onion thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 50 grams sour cream for topping
Pico de gallo
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper (optional) seeded and minced
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 2 tbsp of fresh cilantro
- ½ lime juiced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Dice the onion and red pepper and cook them in a pan with a drizzle of oil.
- Dice the chicken breast and add it to the pan.
- Grate the cheese and put it on the tortilla. Top with the cooked chicken breast, onions, and peppers.
- Fold the tortilla in half and fry it in a hot pan over a medium heat on each side until it begins to brown on the outside and the cheese melts.
Pico de Gallo:
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno, salt, and pepper. Set the Pico de Gallo aside for serving.
- Enjoy your delicious homemade chicken quesadillas with a side of fresh Pico de Gallo!