Beef Bulgogi Tacos
There’s nothing better than a mix of Korean and Mexican cuisines – this is a delicious, must-try recipe!
Beef Bulgogi Tacos
- canola oil for frying
- 12 round wonton wrappers
- 1 cup julienne scallions fine
- 1/2 cup brown rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup golden caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Korean chile flakes
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 pound rib-eye thinly sliced
- 12 cloves garlic
- 3 onions cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 cups soy sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 2 pinches black pepper
- 2 Korean pears or Gala appled, cored and cut into chunked
- 1 pineapple peeled, cored, and cubed
- 1 Korean pear or Gala apple
- 1 cup prepared kimchee drained well and minced
- * Special equipment: a taco shell mold
- Pour enough canola oil in a heavy pot or deep fryer for the wonton wrappers to be submerged completely when frying.
- Heat the oil until a deep-fry thermometer inserted in the oil registers 375 degrees F.
- Using a taco shell mold, fry the wonton wrappers in the oil until crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and allow to cool fully before using.
- Rinse the scallions thoroughly with cold water.
- Prepare a bowl of ice water, add the scallions and soak for 5 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Combine the scallions, rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, chile flakes and sesame oil and let marinate for 20 minutes.
- Add the garlic and onions to a food processor and process until thoroughly combined.
- Add the soy sauce, red wine, sesame oil, black pepper, pears, pineapple cubes and 1 1/2 cups water and process until thoroughly combined.
- Add the rib eye to a bowl, pour over the bulgogi marinade and allow the beef to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Remove the beef from the marinade, letting any excess marinade drip back into the bowl.
- Add the beef to the pan and cook until well done, about 5 minutes. (This is very important to allow the flavors of the marinade to develop completely.)
- Peel the pear and slice it into thin half-moons.
- Place a layer of the kimchee and then the beef into each taco shell. Garnish with the scallion slaw and sliced pears.