500 grams (about 2 cups) mopane wormsor macimbi
2 liters (about 2 quarts) Water
1 tablespoon cooking oil
½ teaspoon Salt
1 clove garlicfinely sliced
Mopane worms are a staple dish in Zimbabwe. The worms are harvested during the rainy season, then cleaned and sun-dried for preservation.
How to Make Mopane Worms:
- Soak the mopane worms in 2 cups of hot water for 10 minutes.
- Clean the mopane worms and place them in a pot of water and bring it to a boil for 15 minutes.
- Change the water and boil again for 20 more minutes. Drain the water.
- Deep fry the mopane worms on a moderate heat.
- Once the mopane worms are fried and crispy, about 10 minutes, add the salt, garlic, tomato, and onion and mix all the ingredients together.
- Allow to simmer for 15 minutes until the garlic, tomato, and onion are well cooked.
- Serve with sadza or as a snack. The mopane worms can also be served with green vegetables and salads.