Sweet Chilli Jam
Every time I make chilli jam I end up putting it on virtually every meal I have and it never lasts in my fridge more than a couple of days.
The sweetness of it compliments many vegetables perfectly (try it on grilled eggplant). And the spiciness is the perfect addition to eggs (any style), as well as virtually all meats, particularly roast chicken.
I think I might start making double batches of chilli jam from now on.
Enjoy this delicious chilli jam recipe.
- 500 grams roma tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 3-4 small red chillis
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 knob ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit).
- Cut tomatoes in half and drizzle them with olive oil and roast in the oven until skins start to blister.
- Sweat the onions in a pot in a touch of oil on low flame until they turn soft and translucent.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the onions and sweat a few more minutes.
- Add the roasted tomatoes to the pot, reduce the heat to very low, cook out for 1-2 hours season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Once all the ingredients are cooked out, allow to cool and puree in a food processor, refrigerate and use as needed.