Roast Chicken with Salsa Madre, Swiss Chard and Pumpkin
Chicken with Salsa Madre, Swiss Chard and Pumpkin
- 1 whole chicken
- 1/2 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- 4 chile pasillas
- 4 chile anchos
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tomatoes chopped in quarters
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 piece celery root
- 1/2 pumpkin
- 1 red onion
- 4 stems swiss chard
- Put 1/2 an onion (cut into 6 pieces), 3 whole cloves of garlic, 1 lemon (cut in half) inside a whole chicken.
- Truss the chicken (tuck the wings behind the bird’s back; grasp the bird’s wings and tuck them behind the bird’s back) and put in an oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes uncovered, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes before serving.
- Chop onion and garlic and place in a large pan with 1 tbsp of oil over low heat.
- Sautee for 10 min until soft, then add chiles and cook for 3 min.
- Then add tomatoes, oregano, cumin, and sesame seeds and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add raisins and chicken stock and cook for 25 minutes.
- Blend very well and season with salt and serve.
- Sauce keeps a week.
- Cut the celery root and pumpkin into 1/2 inch squares. Cut the onion into large pieces.
- In a medium sized pan, add the celery root and onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Then add the pumpkin and place in the same oven as the chicken (at 400 degrees Fahrenheit) for 15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the Swiss chard stems.
- Take the pan out of the oven and add the Swiss chard and with the residual heat from the pan, the Swiss chard will cook. After 10 minutes remove into a serving bowl.
- Put the salsa en madre on the bottom of the plate then add chicken on top.
- This way you maintain the beautiful crisp skin of the chicken, as well as you control your sauce to chicken ratio!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!