Star Anise Marinated Salmon with Flying Fish Ro & Cucumber Jelly
This extraordinary appetizer combines the delicate richness of marinated salmon with the exquisite pop of flying fish caviar. The dish is elevated further with the refreshing and subtle taste of cucumber jelly, while the peppery notes of Affila-Cress add a unique twist. To tie it all together, a touch of ginger brings a hint of warmth and complexity.
Star Anise Marinated Salmon, Flying Fish Caviar, Cucumber Jelly, Affila-Cress & Ginger
- 400 grams salmon
- 35 grams star anise
- 1 teaspoon caraway
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 laurel leaf
- 30 grams brown sugar
- 35 grams fleur de sel
- 2 tablespoons soy bean oil
- 40 grams finely chopped onion cubes in anise pickled
- 1 tablespoon salmon powder
- 2 leaves coriander
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- freshly ground pepper
- 40 grams asian breadcrumbs
- 200 millilitres sunflower oil
- 75 millilitres rice vinegar
- 1 stick lemon grass
- 15 grams coriander finely chopped
- 14 millilitres oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- cayenne pepper
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 Thai mango peeled
- 4 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 bunch coriander
- 1/2 ginger tuber
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
- a few drops of tabasco sauce
- 4 radishes finely sliced
- 16 affila cress stems
- 20 grams tobikko caviar
- 4 pickeld ginger slices
- Chop the star anise, cumin, thyme, fennel, black pepper and laurel leaf coarsely in a flash cutter.
- Mix with brown sugar and fleur de sel.
- Season the salmon with the spice mixture.
- Place on a plate.
- Cover with foil.
- Keep in the refrigerator for 24 hours to marinate.
- Once done marinating, take the salmon out then clean rinse it under cool running water.
- Dry the salmon on paper towels.
- Salmon cubes mix with fish powder, finely chopped coriander and soy sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Form 4 small balls, coat with breadcrumbs and bake just before serving in 160°C (320 ℉) hot cooking oil for 2 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients and season with cayenne pepper.
- Wash the cucumber and and put it through a juicer.
- Heat the drained cucumber juice with chili and coriander and let it stand for 30 minutes and pour through a strainer.
- Dissolve the softened gelatin in rice vinegar and mix with the cucumber fund.
- Season with sea salt and pepper and place it in refrigerator to cool.
- Cut cucumber jelly in fine cubes.
- Puree all ingredients on the flash cutter into a homogeneous mix, through a fine sieve emphasize taste with salt, pepper (cayenne) and Tabasco sauce.
- Arrange a slice of salmon on a plate, then the cucumber jelly, affila-cress, salmon cubes, bean sprouts and flying fish caviar dish.
- Splash some coriander dip and put the fried croquette on top of it.
- Garnish with radish slices. Finally, drizzle the vinaigrette over and a put a few avocados dip points around and serve it.