Turkish Köfte Recipe
Also known as ćufte, polpeti, and köfte, qofte are meatballs made with beef, chicken, lamb, or pork. Minced meat is mixed with breadcrumbs, paprika, black pepper, chopped onion, and other spices. The meatballs are usually fried or baked, then served with various sauces.
To complete the experience, make sure there’s a pot of hot red pepper sauce on the table; it perfectly tangs up the succulent meat.
Köfte is one of the most popular Turkish foods and a must-try when visiting Turkey. Köfte is not very difficult to make at home either so check out our köfte recipe below.
- 300 g medium fat ground beef
- 200 g medium fat ground lamb
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup stale bread crusts removed and crumbled
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Put the ground meat in a large mixing bowl. Grate the onion into a strainer, then press it using a silicone spatula, straining the juices over the minced meat. Then grate the garlic onto the bowl. Add the crumbled bread, salt, and spices, then knead them well together.
- Cover the bowl and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Take small pieces of the mince mixture and roll them in both palms. When you get a small ball without any cracks, pressing it with the balls of your hands into a disc shape. Repeat the process until all the mince mixture is used up.
- Cook the meatballs in a cast iron grill pan on medium-high heat, turning them once you have grill marks on one side, and cooking on the other side until grill marks appear. It may take 8-10 minutes for both sides to cook.
- Serve with grilled tomatoes and peppers.