200 gr beef tonguesliced
1 Long green onion
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp Sake
1 tsp Mirin
1 tsp Sesame Oil
Beef tongue is a common delicacy in Japan, most famous known in the city of Sendai.
It is commonly cooked over charcoal grill till add a delicious smoky flavour. It can be cooked slowly to deepen the umami flavour, or if the tongue is fresh, it can be grilled quickly and eaten rare. A common condiment is green onions and lemon juice, which helps cuts through the meatiness of the tongue.
How to Make Beef Tongue:
- Combine the marinade ingredients together.
- Add the beef tongue and marinade into a deep tray and marinate for 1 hour. In the meantime, prepare you charcoal grill.
- Slice your green onion as thinly as possible.
- Grill the beef tongue 30 seconds on one side. Then flip over.
- When the other side is grilling, place the green onions on the beef tongue.
- After 30 seconds, fold the beef tongue over and serve.
- Dip into the lemon juice or sea salt.