Japanese Beef Tongue Recipe
Beef tongue is a common delicacy in Japan, most famous in the city of Sendai. It is commonly cooked over a charcoal grill, adding a delicious smoky flavor. Cooking it slowly deepens the umami flavor, or if the tongue is fresh, it can be grilled quickly and eaten rare.
A common condiment is green onions and lemon juice, which helps cuts through the meatiness of the tongue.
- Charcoal grill
- 200 g sliced beef tongue
- 1 long green onion
- Lemon juice
- Sea salt
How to make beef tongue
- Combine the marinade ingredients together.
- Put the beef tongue and marinade in a deep tray and marinate for 1 hour. In the meantime, prepare your charcoal grill.
- Slice the green onion as thinly as possible.
- Grill the beef tongue for 30 seconds on one side. Then flip over.
- When the other side is grilling, place the green onions on the beef tongue.
- After 30 seconds, fold the beef tongue over and serve.
- Dip in the lemon juice or sea salt.