2 Chicken Breast
2 cups rice
1 can tomato paste
1 can Parmesan
1 can bell peppersDiced
1 can white onionDiced
1/2 cup Green peas
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
3 tooth Garlic
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 pinch Salt
1 pinch red pepper
1 tablespoon Bijol oil
This typical Cuban food sometimes nicknamed “Cucan Lasagna” is the perfect companion for any type of celebration – a wedding, graduation or simply sharing a special moment with friends and family. Instead of noodles with tomato sauce, Arroz Imperial is a made with layers of yellow rice, banana or plantain, peppers, chicken, mayonnaise, and melted cheese. Making this Cuban recipe is very easy but takes some time, love and patience to layer (just like an Italian lasagna) but the result will be well worth it!
How to Make Arroz Imperial:
- Place the chicken in a pot over high heat, cook them in a liter of water, adding a touch of chicken broth, the tomato paste, some bay leaves to flavor, cumin and onion along with a clove of macerated garlic.
- Remove the chicken when it is browned on both sides and set aside the broth.
- Shred the chicken using a fork. Then, mix in a saucepan with 1 chopped onion, a garlic clove, minced, 1 ½ tablespoon of tomato puree, and oil.
- We use the broth of the chicken breasts for cooking the rice, we recommend using a measure of rice for two of the broth
- While the rice is cooking, we chop our ham into preferably small squares and fry with a touch of oil.
- Now that we have all the ingredients ready, we are going to place our rice in a mold. First, let’s put in the bottom of the mold a few Mayonnaise, not too much, just in order to get a little spread.
- The first coating is for adding the rice; we straighten it well in order to be a standard as possible.
- The second coating is part of the chicken shred and a few fresh jam . Above we add Mayonnaise and a few grated cheese.
- Then we add other coating of rice, and we go back with the procedure, chicken shred, few fresh jam, mayonnaise and a few gratedcheese.
- Up to the end of all the ingredients, or according to the mold, the last coating should be mayonnaise and a few gratedcheese, to taste.
- Bake it to 400 F degrees, it depends of the oven you use, the time varies for 5 or 10 minutes, you will know that it is ready when you see the gratedcheese completely melted in the surface.
- We take out of the oven and we already have our recipe for imperial rice with Cuban-style chicken.