Pan-Fried Vegetable Steamed Buns (Shengjian)
These healthy pan-fried vegetarian buns or Sheng Jian Bao are super fluffy and soft with a crispy bottom and will set you up perfectly for the weekend.
They are super tasty and the dough and filling can be made in advance! I have followed the talented woon.heng recipe to make the buns but used a filling of my own. Do check out Woon’s detailed explanation on how to make these on her website.
Pan Fried Vegetable Steamed Buns (Sheng Jian Bao)
- 240 g all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- ⅔ cup plant-based milk
- a pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp ginger
- vegetable mix
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- salt and spice
- Mix sugar and yeast in warm water/unsweetened plant-based milk until well-combined.
- Place flour and salt on a cleaned surface like a mound. Make a hole in the middle. Slowly pour in the yeast mixture while bringing the flour from the side to the middle.
- Knead into a soft and smooth dough then place it in a bowl. Cover and let it proof until double its size.
- Make the mixture by sautéing the ginger, garlic and spring onions in a little oil.
- Add the vegetables, stir until cooked, then add soy and sesame oil and then add salt and spice (if you wish) to taste.
- Divide proofed dough into 14 portion, roll each one into a small circle.
- Place a spoonful of the vegetable filling (making sure it is a dry mix, not wet) in the centre of each circle, bring the sides up and pleat to seal.
- Heat a 10 inch non-stick pan and add about ½ tablespoon oil. Place the buns pleated side down in one layer and cook until the bottom turns slightly golden over low med heat.
- Add about 1 cup of water, place a lid over and cook until all water has evaporated. Turn off the heat.
- Once the buns are done cooking, place a plate in the pan, remove with a spatula. Serve warm with your favorite sauces.