Mini Tomato & Mozzarella Tarts
I made these delicious tomato and mozzarella tarts for my baby boy’s birthday, and so special were they, I knew I also had to share them with you.
They won me over with my first bite; fresh and with a delicate texture. I had a hard time stopping at the first, but, luckily, I stocked up on enough tomatoes and mozzarella to make them again.
Mini Tomato and Mozzarella Tarts
- 300 g flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large sweet potato
- 3 eggs
- 200 ml cream
- 2 large garden tomatoes
- 200 g Granarolo mozzarella
How to make MINI TOMATO AND MOZZARELLA TARTS:
- Sift the flour and mix with the dry yeast. Make a well in the middle.
- Add the lightly beaten eggs, a pinch of salt, and cream and knead.
- Gradually add the (warm) milk until you get a homogeneous dough, soft but not sticky.
- Add a tablespoon of oil and knead a little more until smooth.
- Leave the dough to rise for an hour in a warm place, away from drafts.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling.
- Boil the unpeeled sweet potato for 15-20 minutes, until a fork goes in easily.
- Remove and put on a plate to cool. Then peel and slice thinly.
- Mix the eggs well with salt and pepper.
- Add the cream and homogenize.
- For extra flavor, add a teaspoon, or less if you're not a great fan, of oregano. It will make a difference.
- Wash the tomatoes well and cut into thin slices. Drain the whey from the mozzarella and slice.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius (375 Fahrenheit).
- Butter 8 small ramekins (preferably) or a large tart tin.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangular sheet, half an inch thick.
- Cut 8 roughly equal circles and place them in the 8 prepared shapes.
- On each, put slices of potato, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, then pour over the egg and sour cream mixture.
- On top, place slices of tomato and mozzarella.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the mozzarella is nicely browned.
- Leave in the tray for 5-10 minutes, then remove and place on a cooling tray. They can be served hot or cold.
- Serve with a few slices of mozzarella and a sprinkle of oregano. They will be a delight, guaranteed!
Note: If you happen to run out of mozzarella, check out our guide to the best mozzarella substitutes.