Fettuccine with Manila Clams, Spicy Sausage and White Wine Saffron Reduction
This delicious fresh egg fettuccine with Manila clams, spicy sausage and white wine saffron reduction recipe was provided by Chef Fabio Viviani.
It’s a perfectly light dish that works for every occasion. The recipe calls for Italian sausages, but you can substitute the sausages for seasoned ground beef. Enjoy the recipe below!
Fresh Egg Fettuccini with Manila Clams, Spicy Sausage and White Wine Saffron Reduction
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 cup ground Italian sausage You can also buy seasoned ground beef, or buy linked sausage, crumbling it as it cooks
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 12 to 15 Manila clams
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound fresh egg fettuccine
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley leaves torn
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- In a large pot on medium high heat, drizzle in a touch of olive oil. Add the chili flakes, sausage, garlic and clams and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the saffron and deglaze with white wine. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the chicken broth. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Reduce by half, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the pasta to water and cook for 2 minutes. Remove the pasta and add to clams.
- Continue to reduce the sauce, stirring pasta to release starch to help thicken the sauce. Reduce heat to medium, add butter and stir. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a touch of pasta water to thin out. Fold in the parsley and season one last time with salt and pepper, if needed. Enjoy!