Chocolate Cherry Cake
Sometimes I get a huge chocolate craving and I turn to chocolate desserts, very chocolatey. Cakes, cupcakes, tarts…whatever it is, it simply has to have tons of chocolate.
Just like this chocolate cherry cake. It has a super delicious, cocoa-dense sponge. Next comes a smooth dark chocolate cream with cherries, then another layer of cake sponge, and finally a smooth milk chocolate cream on top.
To decorate, I add cocoa powder, cherries, and chocolate pralines. Could you possibly cope with more chocolate than this? Theoretically, you could, but practically I think this cake is exactly what you need. A real treat, a feast of chocolate and fresh, flavorsome cherries. Enjoy!
Chocolate Cherry Cake
Chocolate Cream (Dark and Chocolate Milk):
- 500 ml milk
- 4 eggs
- 5 tbsp starch
- 150 g sugar
- 150 g butter
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 150 g milk chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- 300 g cherries
- Using a mixer, combine the room-temperature butter and sugar, mixing until it becomes a fluffy white cream. Separately, combine the flour with the cocoa powder, walnuts, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add the eggs to the buttercream, one at a time, alternating with a spoonful of dry ingredients – so, one egg, then one spoonful of dry ingredients – mixing well each time. When the three eggs are combined, add half of the remaining dry ingredients and the yogurt (at room temperature). Mix slowly until smooth. Continue with the remaining dry ingredients and the hot coffee. Don't over-mix, just make sure the mixture is uniform.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (360 °F). Line a large 30/40 cm (12×16 inches) baking tray with parchment paper. Pour the mixture into the tray and level it nicely with a spoon. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the edges pull away from the tray. When it is ready, flip it onto a cooling rack and cut it into two 20/30 cm (10×14 inches) pieces.
- Wash the cherries, remove the pits, and leave them to drain.
- Place the milk over a low heat. Separately, whisk the eggs with a pinch of salt. Add the sugar and starch and continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Incorporate a few tablespoons of the hot milk into the egg cream. Pour the egg cream over the milk and keep the mixture on medium heat. Stir continuously until it thickens and starts to boil. Turn off the heat and add the vanilla.
- Divide the mixture into two parts, one-third, and two-thirds. Into two-thirds of the cream, add the dark chocolate broken into pieces and 100 g (3 3/4 oz) butter. Over one-third of the cream, add the milk chocolate pieces and 50 g (1.5 oz) butter. Leave the cream to rest for 2-3 minutes, then vigorously stir the creams until they achieve a smooth consistency.
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Place half the cake on a baking tray. Pour half on the dark chocolate cream and place the cherries on top. Pour the rest of the dark chocolate cream over the cherries. Cover with the other half of the cake. Spread the milk chocolate cream on top.
- Refrigerate until the next day.
- Before serving, dust the cake with dark cocoa powder and decorate it with chocolate and cherries. Before cutting, run the knife blade under hot water. It is a wonderful cake, full of flavors and chocolate. Everyone who tastes it will be delighted.
Related: Chocolate Blackberry Mousse Cake
Related: Gâteau Magique (French Magic Cake)
Related: Gourmet Chocolate Peach Tonka Cake (Entremet)
Related: Chocolate Cherry Cookies
Related: Cherry Cheesecake in a Jar