Cheese-Stuffed Kebabs (Kaserli Kebab)
This oriental recipe combines the best of both worlds—succulent beef and lamb kebabs encasing a molten core of delicious melted cheese. Cheese lovers and kebab enthusiasts alike will be captivated by this recipe.
This recipe is made with Kasseri cheese, one of the most popular Greek cheeses. It’s produced in the north-west regions of Greece, it has a semi-hard texture and is primarily made with sheep’s milk. It has a mild savory flavor and it melts beautifully and therefore a great fit for this recipe. If you don’t have Kasseri cheese in your pantry, you can substitute it with mozzarella, asiago or pecorino romano.
Kaserli kebabs are more than just a meal; they are an experience that will linger in your memory and have you yearning for their exquisite flavors time and time again.
Please find below the recipe for these delicious cheese-stuffed kebabs.
Kebab with Greek Kasseri Cheese – Kaserli
For kaserli kebab:
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients for the kebabs, except the kasseri cheese and mix them well, until the mixture is even.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 1 hour, so that the mixture thickens.
- Take a portion of the mixture, press it slightly with your hands, so that it gets a rectangular shape, and put some kasseri cheese on top. Shape the minced meat around the kasseri cheese, to cover it completely and form a kebab.
- Repeat the same process with the rest of the mixture and pass the kebabs through skewers, unless you want to leave them as they are.
- Place a pan or a grill pan over medium to high heat. Once heated, add a little olive oil and cook the kebabs for 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown and completely cooked.
- Serve the kaserli kebabs with souvlaki wraps, roasted tomatoes, onion, tzatziki sauce, parsley and French fries.