Tuna Meatballs in Yogurt Sauce (Giouvarlakia)
This a fantastic Greek recipe of moist, fluffy tuna meatballs bathed in a velvety yogurt sauce. This recipe offers a delightful twist on traditional Greek meatballs, which are usually made with ground beef and/or ground pork, embracing the healthy qualities of tuna and the creamy richness of Greek yogurt.
Prepare to embark on a culinary journey that will enchant both your palate and your loved ones.
This dish is packed with aromatic herbs and spices, making them the perfect protein-packed meal for any time of day. The smooth Greek strained yogurt sauce complements the meatballs beautifully, adding a creamy touch to every bite. And with just a touch of lemon juice and zest, this sauce is light and refreshing, making it the perfect accompaniment to these delicious meatballs.
Enjoy this delicious tuna meatballs in Greek yogurt sauce recipe by Greek celebrity chef Giorgos Tsoulis.
Greek Tuna Meatballs in Yogurt Sauce (Giouvarlakia)
For the meatballs:
- 250 g canned tuna in water
- 60 g stale bread or dry breadcrumbs
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ½ Florina pepper cut into small cubes
- ½ clove of garlic finely chopped
- ¼ bunch parsley finely chopped
- ½ tbsp dry oregano
- 3 egg whites
For the yogurt sauce:
- ½ liter full fat milk
- 100 g Greek yogurt
- 40 g butter
- 40 g all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 lemon juiced
- ½ lemon zested
For the yoghurt sauce:
- Preheat fan oven to 180° C (360 °F)
- In a food processor, add the stale bread and beat. Transfer to a large bowl. If you are using breadcrumbs add directly to bowl.
- Drain the tuna and add to the bowl along with the onions, garlic, Florina pepper, parsley and oregano. Mix thoroughly.
- In a mixer’s bowl, add the egg whites. Beat on high speed, using the whisk attachment, until you create a thick meringue with stiff peaks.
- When ready, transfer meringue to bowl with the other ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Gently fold into mixture, until incorporated.
- Pick up 40-50 g (1/3 of a cup) of the mixture and shape into round balls. Place in a baking pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 15-20 minutes.
For the yogurt sauce:
- Place a deep pot over medium to high heat. Add the butter and mix with a hand whisk, until it melts.
- Add the flour, while whisking continuously, so that the mixture doesn’t stick to the pot. Add the milk gradually, while whisking continuously, so as to create a smooth mixture with no lumps.