Smetannyk (Smetannik) Recipe
This delicious cake easily competes with exquisite French desserts. It is tender, moist, and creamy but not excessively sweet or tangy. It looks beautiful but does not require much mastery to make.
This dessert is sinfully easy to make. If you are new to baking, it is perhaps the first cake you should try. It’s also a cake that requires just a few basic ingredients which you can most probably find in your pantry.
Enjoy the Smetannyk (Smetannik) recipe below.
For the sponge cake
- 14 oz cups flour
- 7 oz sugar
- 4 eggs
- 7 oz sour cream
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
For the cream
- 1.7 lb sour cream
- 7 oz cup sugar
How to make Smetannyk:
For the sponge
- Bake two sponges: a light and a dark one.
- For the light sponge, take 2 eggs, add 0.5 cup of sugar, and whip thoroughly.
- Pour 0.5 cup of sour cream into a deep bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and mix well until the sour cream doubles in volume.
- Then pour the sour cream into the egg mixture and mix. Add the flour and mix the dough lightly.
- Pour the dough into the baking mould. Bake at 360 ºF for 30-35 minutes. Check the readiness with a wooden skewer or toothpick.
- Repeat the same steps for the dark sponge cake, only add 1.5 tablespoons of cocoa powder to the flour. Bake until ready.
- Leave the sponges to cool down.
For the cream and assembly
- Thoroughly mix 1 cup of sugar and 2 cups of sour cream.
- Cut the sponges in half.
- Spread the cream on the top of one sponge, put a second sponge on top, and so on.
- Spread the cream around the sides.
- Leave for 6-8 hours or overnight in the fridge. The cream has to stick and soak into the sponge.