2 1/2 cup basmati rice
1/2 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
5 tablespoon Sesame Oil
1 1/2 cup urad dal
as required Salt
as required Water
How to Make Idli:
- To prepare this popular South Indian recipe, wash the rice and urad dal separately until the water runs clean and add the fenugreek seeds.
- Soak in water for 4-6 hours.
- Soak the urad dal separately for the same amount of time.
- Drain all the water from the urad dal and grind it to a fine paste.
- Add water accordingly.
- Grind the rice to a coarse paste (add water as needed) and then mix both the pastes together in a large bowl, whisking them well. Make sure that the consistency is thick.
- Now, the idli batter needs to be well-fermented. This step is very important to get soft and fluffy idlis.
- Keep the batter in a warm place to ferment.
- Once the batter has risen, add salt and mix well.
- Grease the idli stand with oil and fill with a ladleful of batter.
- Add ½ cup of water to the idli steamer and let it boil.
- Put the idli stand inside and close the lid.
- Let the steam build for 8-10 minutes before switching off the gas.
- If you are using a cooker, use it without a vent and steam it for 10 minutes and then switch the gas off.
- In both cases, wait till the steam is released before you take the idli stand out.
- Wait for another 5 minutes and then use a sharp knife to scoop the idlis out.
- Serve warm with coconut chutney and sambhar.