3-4 lbs pikecarp or perch
2 large onionscut in circles
2 large carrotscut in circles
2-3 celery stalkssliced
2 Bay Leaves
1/2 tbsp Salt
2 qts. Water
1 envelope plain gelatin
lemon slicesor wedges
How to Make Fish in Aspic:
- Clean the fish, remove the head and tail (or have your fishmonger do it).
- Place into a large oval casserole/roaster, add the seasoning, fish heads and tails, and water. Bring to a boil and simmer on low for 40 minutes. Remove the vegetables.
- Wrap the fish in cheesecloth, place it in the fish water, and simmer on very low (covered) for 20-25 minutes. Remove the fish to a plate and cool.
- Divide the fish into 1-1/2 inch sections, keeping the fish shape, remove the bones and arrange the fish in a glass serving dish.
- Strain the fish bouillon. Dissolve the gelatin in 1/4 cup of cold water, add to the bouillon, bring to a simmer, and then let cool slightly.
- Cover the fish with the bouillon and chill until slightly set.
- Decorate the fish with the cooked vegetables, cover, and chill until set.
- Decorate with parsley and lemon slices or wedges.
- Serve with lemon juice or white vinegar.
- A whole fish in aspic may also be prepared this way. Just ask the fishmonger to clean the fish and give you additional heads and tails for preparation of the fish bouillon.