5 large lemonsjuiced
1 pound jumbo shrimppeeled and deveined
¼ cup fresh cilantrochopped
tomato and clam juice cocktail
2 white onionsfinely chopped
1 cucumberpeeled and finely chopped
1 large tomatoesseeded and chopped
3 fresh jalapeno peppersseeded and minced
1 bunch radishesfinely diced
2 cloves fresh garlicminced
Ceviche is a well-known seafood dish from Mexico, Central and South America. It is most commonly made with shrimp, but can include scallops, oysters or fish of any kind. With ceviche recipes, you use acid (lime juice) to “cure” the fish/seafood. By covering the protein in an acidic mixture (with chillies, herbs, fresh spices, etc) you essentially cook it. Because this dish is so heavily dressed, the result is refreshing, light and super healthy. It is often served with tortilla chips and can be as spicy as you like it!
How to Make Ceviche:
- Place shrimp in a bowl (You may either coarsely chop the shrimp, or leave them whole, depending on your preference.) Add lemon, covering shrimp completely.
- Cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until opaque and slightly firm.
- Add tomatoes, onions, cucumber, radishes, and garlic; toss to combine.
- Gradually add cilantro and jalapenos to desired taste (jalapeno will grow stronger while marinating).
- Stir in tomato and clam juices to desired consistency.
- Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Serve chilled with tortilla chips.