Chicken Cordon Bleu on Roasted Vegetables
I love nothing more than a home made meal based on comfort food and Chicken Cordon Bleu is one of my favorites. It takes me back to the late 80’s where crumbing food was a vogue thing to do, remembering deep fried camembert with raspberry sauce as an example.
I have put a twist on the classic chicken cordon bleu dish, using goat & gruyere cheese and pancetta as the filling. I also like to use free range chicken breast and organic vegetables locally sourced as they taste so much better.
Chicken Cordon Bleu on Roasted Vegetables with a Beetroot & Chicken Jus
- 4 chicken breasts 180 grams (5.2 oz) each
- 4 slices pancetta
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese
- 1/4 bunch tarragon
- 2 large eggs free range
- 1/2 cup full cream milk
- 1 cup flour plain
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 parsley
- 4 beetroot medium
- 8 kipfler potatoes medium
- 1 carrot medium
- 1 sweet potatoes medium
- 250 grams green beans
- red onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
BEETROT & CHICKEN JUS
- 2 cups chicken stock
- beetroot peels
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Remove the skin from the chicken breasts and make a 4 cm (1.5 inches) long incision into the center of each chicken breast and place aside.
- Chop tarragon and mix with both cheeses, add some cracked black pepper.
- Lay pancetta onto a cutting board and place cheese mix onto it, roll it up gently like a Swiss roll.
- Place each pancetta roll into the cut chicken breast and ensure chicken covers the opening.
- Place in fridge for 1 hour.
- Get 3 medium sized kitchen bowls, in one whisk the eggs and milk together, place flour in another and bread crumbs mixed with the parsley in the last one. You now have a crumbing set ready to go
- To crumb the chicken breast place the chicken in flour, followed by egg mix and finally the bread crumb. Coat each breast and place back in fridge for at least an hour.
- Pre heat oven to 170 degrees Celsius (330 Fahrenheit).
- Peel beetroot and wash the peel and set aside, cut beetroot into wedges.
- Cut potato into bite size cubes.
- Peel and cube the remainder of the vegetable.
- Top and Tail beans and cut into strips.
- Mix vegetables together except beans and mix with oil, place in oven and cook for 20 minutes or until vegetables are brown and tender.
- Blanch beans in boiling water for two minutes and mix all vegetables together allowing the beetroot to bleed onto other vegetables.
- Sauté beetroot very slowly in butter add stock and reduce by half.
- Deep fry chicken until brown and sealed. Cook in a hot oven for a further 7 minutes.
- Place a level mound of vegetables in the centre of a plate, cut chicken in half on an angle and arrange on top of vegetables.
- Using a table spoon, drizzle the jus around the outside of the plate.