Cauliflower Fried Rice
This cauliflower fried “rice” was the star of the show at last weeks Sydney Fitness + Health Show. It’s one of my favorite meals to make at home and it takes around 5 minutes to create.
My secret is to use a generous amount of anti-inflammatory aromatics. Ginger and turmeric are king and take center stage in the beginning of creating this wonderful meal.
You’ll also notice I haven’t used any garlic – I find it overpowers the punchy clean flavors of this dish, so please don’t be tempted to use it.
It’s also important to have all your ingredients prepared and ready to go before you begin to make the dish – mise en plus is the key to every chef’s success to be organised and be prepared.
A splash of coconut water deglazes the pan, releasing all the toasted aroma from the aromatics, if you happen to have a fresh young coconut on hand, it’s also lovely to fold through the creamy coconut flesh at the very end before serving.
What’s great about this particular cauliflower fried rice recipe?
The ingredients have been especially selected to help boost metabolism, digestion and your immune system. Cauliflower is a good source of the cancer-fighting agents known as glucosinolates. Cauliflower is also rich in sulphur that works as an anti-inflammatory. It also supports healthy digestion and boosts your immune system.
Parsley, mint and coriander help to stimulate digestive function and support the liver to detoxify the body.
Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric, responsible for the distinct yellow coloring and the impressive list of health properties. Turmeric has been linked to the prevention of cancer cell growth and management of inflammatory conditions such as arthritis, asthma, eczema and inflammatory bowel disease. It is a nutritional powerhouse, rich in manganese, zinc, B group vitamins and iron.
Ginger has potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It helps to boost immune function and combat cellular damage. Organic egg and almonds boost protein that your body needs to build and repair cells in the body.
Other proteins that work well with this dish are white fish and organic chicken.
Enjoy this delicious cauliflower fried rice recipe!
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 cauliflower large piece, finely chopped or grated
- 6 pieces kale leaves finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil organic, cold pressed
- 2 tablespoons ginger fresh
- 2 tablespoons turmeric freshly grated or 1 generous teaspoon of dry
- 2 bunch coriander stem and leaves chopped separately
- 1 splash coconut water use normal water if coconut water is not available
- 1 lime
- 6 spring onions trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 bunch parsley chopped
- 1 bunch mint leaves chopped
- 2 tamari almonds roasted, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2 eggs organic, if available
- 1 green chili sliced
- Chop the cauliflower into small pieces and place into a food processor.
- Process until it looks like white rice. If you don’t have a food processor, you can also do this on a hand grater.
- Heat the coconut in a pan over a medium to high heat.
- Add ginger, turmeric and coriander root then stir fry for a few seconds until aromatics are released.
- Add the cauliflower and kale and stir fry for a few minutes until hot and fragrant.
- Deglaze the pan and add a splash of coconut water or water to the pan.
- Add 2 beaten organic eggs and mix through.
- Add spring onion, coriander, parsley, mint, tamari and mirin.
- Fold through tamari almonds and pumpkin seeds.
- Squeeze over a little lime.
- Serve alone or with a side of kimchi, or steamed white fish.
Notes and inspiration:
- Enjoy cold as a portable take to work salad the next day.