1/2 cup rava (sooji)or coarse variety
5-6 beansthinly chopped
1/2 carrotfinely chopped
1 Onionfinely chopped
1-2 green chiliesor to taste
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon Oilor ghee
10-12 Curry leaves
to taste Salt
1 cup Wateradjust according to the quality of rava used
How to Make Rava Upma:
- In a wide pan, dry-roast the rava (semolina) until a nice aroma arises and it turns light brown in color.
- Transfer it to a plate and set aside to cool.
- Chop the onions, carrot, beans, and green chilies (as well as any other vegetables you might be adding). Set aside.
- In a pan or pot, heat the oil or ghee. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the curry leaves and green chilies. Sauté.
- Add the chopped onions and fry till they turn golden brown.
- Add the chopped vegetables. Mix and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water and salt as per taste. Over a medium heat, boil the water.
- Lower the heat and cook till vegetables turn soft. If you like your vegetables crunchy, don’t cook them much.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add the roasted rava little by little.
- Stir constantly to avoid lumps.
- The rava will absorb all the water and thicken. Cover with a lid and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes over a low heat. Continue to stir occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and serve hot with chutney, curd, pickle or as it is.