Homemade Potato Gnocchi
2 1/4 pounds Russet potatoes
2 medium eggs
1 1/2 cups Floursifted
1/2 cup parmesan cheesegrated
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
Davio's Wild Mushroom & Truffle Gnocchi Recipe
1 pound wild mushroom mix
3 cloves Garlicsliced thin
3 tablespoons Olive Oil
a splash white truffle oil
This delicious truffle gnocchi recipe with wild mushrooms was provided by Chef Rodney Murillo, Culinary Director and Vice President of Davio’s Northern Italian Steakhouses.
Homemade Potato Gnocchi Recipe
- Boil potatoes until tender.
- While hot, strain, peel and put through the ricer.
- Set aside, let thoroughly cool (this can be done the day before).
- On a board, form a “mountain” with cooled riced potatoes.
- Add sifted flour, Parmesan, salt & pepper.
- Make a hole at the top of the mountain and add the eggs into hole.
- Working for the eggs out, begin mixing eggs with potato until well blended.
- Cover with a slightly damp cloth or a bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into 2 foot long rolls about the size of a quarter in diameter.
- Cut into ½ inch pieces.
- Delicately dust with flour and place into a plastic container (only one layer with plenty of room).
- Cover and Freeze until ready to cook. (Once frozen, the gnocchi can be transferred into zip lock bags. The gnocchi can be kept frozen up to one month.)
- Bring 12 quarts of salted water to a rapid boil, add frozen gnocchi, cover and cook until water returns to a boil.
- Uncover, cook for an additional 2 minutes OR until the gnocchi begin to float.
- Strain gnocchi, add your favorite sauce, serve immediately in a warm, shallow bowl.
- Serve 10 gnocchi as an appetizer or 20 as an entrée (main course).
How to Prepare the Wild Mushroom and Truffle Gnocchi
- Place Sauté Pan Over Medium Heat, When hot add olive oil & sliced garlic. Brown Slightly.
- Add Wild Mushrooms & toss well.
- Turn Heat to Medium and Cook Mushrooms until Slightly brown. Tossing often.
- Season to taste with Salt & Pepper. Add splash of truffle oil.
- Toss Well.
- Optional Garnish After Tossing with Gnocchi:
- Add chopped fresh Italian Parsley and/or Shaved Parmigiano.