Wild Mushroom & Truffle Gnocchi Recipe by Chef Rodney Murillo
This delicious wild mushroom & truffle gnocchi recipe is brought to you by Rodney Murillo, Culinary Director at Davio’s Northern Italian Steakhouse.
Potato Gnocchi, Wild Mushroom, Garlic and White Truffle Oil
HOMEMADE POTATO GNOCCHI
- 2 1/4 pounds russet potatoes
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour sifted
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
WILD MUSHROOM & TRUFFLE GNOCCHI RECIPE
- 1 pound wild mushroom mix
- 3 cloves garlic sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 splash white truffle oil
Homemade Potato Gnocchi Recipe
- Boil the potatoes until tender.
- While hot, strain, peel and put through the ricer.
- Set aside, let thoroughly cool (this can be done the day before).
- On a board, form a “mountain” with cooled riced potatoes.
- Add sifted flour, Parmesan, salt & pepper.
- Make a hole at the top of the mountain and add the eggs into hole.
- Working for the eggs out, begin mixing eggs with potato until well blended.
- Cover with a slightly damp cloth or a bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into 2 foot long rolls about the size of a quarter in diameter.
- Cut into ½ inch pieces.
- Delicately dust with flour and place into a plastic container (only one layer with plenty of room).
- Cover and Freeze until ready to cook. (Once frozen, the gnocchi can be transferred into zip lock bags. The gnocchi can be kept frozen up to one month.)
- Bring 12 quarts of salted water to a rapid boil, add frozen gnocchi, cover and cook until water returns to a boil.
- Uncover, cook for an additional 2 minutes OR until the gnocchi begin to float.
- Strain gnocchi, add your favorite sauce, serve immediately in a warm, shallow bowl.
- Serve 10 gnocchi as an appetizer or 20 as an entrée (main course).
How to Prepare the Wild Mushroom and Truffle Gnocchi
- Place Sauté Pan Over Medium Heat, When hot add olive oil & sliced garlic. Brown Slightly.
- Add Wild Mushrooms & toss well.
- Turn Heat to Medium and Cook Mushrooms until Slightly brown. Tossing often.
- Season to taste with Salt & Pepper. Add splash of truffle oil.
- Toss Well.
- Optional Garnish After Tossing with Gnocchi:
- Add chopped fresh Italian Parsley and/or Shaved Parmigiano.