1 p Puff pastry sheet
125 g Sugar
70 g Butter
Apple tatin is a traditional pie from France and one of the most popular French desserts. This caramelized apple pie is baked upside down and flipped right after. It is usually served warm with vanilla ice cream. This recipe has been provided by French Pastry Chef Jean-Baptiste Lucas, who runs a pastry & baking school in Bangkok, Thailand.
How to Make the Filling:
- Peel, core, and cut the apples into 1 cm thick wedges.
- Pour the sugar into a frying pan and set the pan over medium heat.
- Allow the sugar to melt slowly without stirring and cook until it becomes a light brown caramel.
- Add the butter and mix.
- Add the apple wedges and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
How to Make Apple Tatin:
- Roll out the puff pastry. Using a ring, cut an 18 cm circle.
- Arrange apple wedges in the bottom of a 18 cm wide pie ring.
- Pour the caramel on top.
- Place puff pastry on top of the apples.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C for about 30 minutes.
- Flip the pie right after baking.