Olive all’ Ascolana (Fried Stuffed Olives)
These delicious meat-stuffed olives are traditionally made in the Ascoli region of central Italy and are served as appetizers at dinner parties and get-togethers.
The recipe typically uses locally sourced green olives that have a mild, sweet flavor, but store bought brined olives work well too, as long as you soak them in water for an hour or two to remove the excess salt.
Enjoy this traditional olive all’ Ascolana recipe.
Olive all’Ascolana (Fried Stuffed Olives)
- 50 green olives pitted
- 50 g beef cubed
- 50 g pork cubed
- 50 g chicken cubed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small carrot
- 1/2 celery stalk
- ½ onion
- 1/2 glass white wine
- ½ lemon zested
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 slice white bread blended
- 50 g Parmigiano Reggiano grated finely
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- breadcrumbs to coat the olives
- 1 egg beaten
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan and add the onion, carrot and celery. Mix together and fry until the vegetables soften and change color slightly.
- Add the cubed beef, chicken and pork and stir until evenly browned.
- Season with salt, cloves and white wine. Cook on low heat for a few minutes, until the alcohol evaporates and the meat cooks through. Set aside.
- While the mixture cools, finely blend the slice of white bread in a food processor.
- Add the warm meat mixture in the food processor and blend well.
- In a bowl, add 1 egg, the grated Parmigiano, lemon zest, cloves, nutmeg and the meat mince and combine the mixture until homogenous and easily to mold. Set it aside for 30 minutes for the flavors to meld.
- Making a cut on the side of each olive and stuff the meat and bread mixture into them.
- Prepare 3 separate plates. Add wheat flour to one of them, breadcrumbs to the second and a beaten egg in the third.
- Take each olive and run it through the white flour, then dip it in the egg and finally coat well with breadcrumbs.
- Once done, dip each olive in egg once more and run through breadcrumbs to achieve a double outer layer. It will make the exterior crunchier after it's cooked.
- Add vegetable oil to a deep fryer or a deep enough pan over the stove and deep fry the stuffed olives, making sure they turn golden on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon onto some kitchen paper so it can absorb the exess oil.
Related: Papoutsakia (Stuffed Eggplants)
Related: Greek Stuffed Eggplant with Chickpeas
Related: Stuffed Zucchini Flowers with Feta and Capers
Related: Stuffed Mushrooms w/ Parmesan & Thyme
Related: Cheese-Stuffed Kebabs (Kaserli Kebab)
Related: Greek Meatballs (Soutzoukakia)