Meringue Cookies with Caramel
How about you treat yourself to something special for dessert one day? Perhaps with some homemade, soft meringues and caramel cookies – buttery crumbly cookies wrapped in sweet and crunchy meringue. In the middle they hide a delicious caramel cream and a fragrant, sugar-free fig jam.
Wonderful! A delicate and elegant dessert. A joy to the eye and a delight for the palate. Each part of this cookie is easy to make, and they combine to make a wonderful treat.
A dessert that simply melts in your mouth. Enjoy!
Meringue Cookies with Caramel Cream
- 200 g white flour
- 50 g almond flour
- 30 g powdered sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 120 g butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 50 g sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 50 g butter
- 75 ml 35% cream
- 3 egg whites
- 150 g sugar
- 40 ml water
- 15 g liquid glucose
- sugar-free fig jam
How to make Meringue Cookies with Caramel Cream:
- Mix the flour with the almond flour, powdered sugar, and salt.
- Cut the butter into pieces and add it to the dry ingredients.
- Mix with your fingertips until you get a crumbly dough.
- Beat the egg yolks lightly and pour over the mixture with the cold water.
- Stir to homogenize the dough. Add more water if necessary. You should obtain a firm dough that isn't too soft.
- Wrap the dough in cling film. Leave it in the fridge for an hour.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it out into a 0.5cm (0.2 inch) thick sheet.
- Cut out circles with a stainless-steel pastry cutter. Put the cookies on a tray lined with baking paper and prick them with a fork in places.
- Refrigerate again for 20 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180C (356 Fahrenheit) degrees.
- Remove the biscuits from the refrigerator and place the tray in the oven.
- Bake the biscuits for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Then leave on a cooling rack to cool.
- Put the sugar and the water in a small, thick-bottomed saucepan. Allow the sugar to melt and boil until it turns a deep copper color.
- Turn off the heat and add the butter. Stir vigorously to homogenize the mixture.
- Add the cream and mix well. Leave the mixture on low heat until it is homogenized.
- Turn off the heat and leave the cream to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Put the water, glucose, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir to melt the sugar.
- When the sugar is completely dissolved, turn the heat up a little and simmer for 4-5 minutes until you have a thick syrup.
- When the syrup starts to boil, start to whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until it turns into a firm foam.
- When the sugar syrup is ready turn off the heat.
- Slowly pour the syrup over the egg whites and continue beating at high speed.
- Beat the egg whites for about 10 minutes until they reach room temperature and the meringue thickens and becomes glossy.
- Put caramel cream on each cookie, but avoid the edges.
- Make a depression in the centre and add a spoonful of fig jam.
- Wrap the cookies in meringue. Do the same with all the cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 100C degrees (210 Fahrenheit).
- Put the cookies in the meringue back in the pan.
- Bake for one hour.
- You will now have crumbly cookies wrapped in crispy meringue, with a creamy caramel filling and fig jam.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!