Mais Con Yelo
Mais con Yelo is a quick and refreshing Filipino dessert, made with sweet corn, creamy milk and shaved ice with a touch of sugar. It’s often enjoyed as a simple treat, but many love it with added toppings such as toasted rice krispies, crushed cornflakes, or even a scoop of ice cream.
Together with the beloved halo-halo, Mais Con Yelo is one of the most emblematic of the Philippines’ summer desserts, and both use a crushed ice base, drizzled with sweet milk.
Mais Con Yelo
- 1/2 cup canned sweet corn kernels
- 2-5 tbsp. cornflakes crushed
- 1/4 cup condensed milk
- 1/4 cup evaporated Milk
- 2-5 tbsp white sugar to taste
- 2-3 cups ice shaved or crushed
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream sweet corn or mango flavored ice cream works well too
- In a serving glass, add 2 tablespoons of sweet corn in the bottom.
- Prepare your ice by either crushing it with a machine, blending it, or using a food processor.
- Add a layer of the crushed or shaved ice on top of the corn kernels.
- Follow with another 2 tablespoons of corn kernels and another layer of ice.
- Finish by adding the remaining corn kernels on top.
- Crush the cornflakes by hand and then sprinkle generously over the mixture.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine the evaporated milk and condensed milk.
- Sweeten the milky mixture to your preference and divide it between the two glasses.
- If you’d like, crown your creation with a scoop of ice cream for an extra treat.