Fricasé de Pollo
This incredibly delicious Cuban dish is yet another testament to the Cuban people’s love for chicken. It’s prepared by marinating the meat in orange juice before simmering in a tasty medley of seasonings and tangy tomato sauce. The potatoes add an extra dose of heartiness resulting in a tender chicken stew ready to be enjoyed with a side of rice.
There are a few variations of this stew, each with its own allure. Below we’ve put together an easy recipe for Fricasé de Pollo for the whole family to enjoy!
Fricasé de Pollo
- 1 whole chicken cut into chunks (or about 2 lbs of chicken legs or thighs)
- 2 medium potatoes cubed
- 1 sour orange juiced
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper or green bell pepper
- 210 gr tomato puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry wine
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or olive oil
- ½ cup water
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Making this delicious dish begins with marinating the chicken pieces first. To do that place your chicken in a bowl, season with salt, pepper and mix with garlic and sour orange juice until well coated. Cover and leave to marinate for a minimum of 2 hours for the best flavor.
- Once the meat is ready, heat up some oil in a large pan and fry the marinated chicken until seared and golden on all sides.
- Next, add in the chopped onion and pepper and sauté until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Then pour in the tomato puree, a splash of red wine, the bay leaves and 1/2 a cup of water. Bring to a boil then cover the pot and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the sauce thickens and the meat is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the potatoes into medium-sized cubes and throw them into the pot with the chicken towards the end of the cooking time. Continue simmering until the potatoes soften, but don't overcook them or they will break apart.
- Turn off the heat and allow the stew to cool slightly. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley if desired and serve the fresh Cuban-style chicken fricasé hot on a bed of white rice or with a delicious congrí.