Bistro Steak with Polenta Fries and Salsa Verde
Bistro steaks, most commonly knows as hanger steaks, is a cut of beef steak loved for its flavor.
This bistro steak recipe below is for four people and has three components: a) the steak, b) the salsa verde and c) the polenta fries.
- 8 ounce pieces of flank steak x 4
- 2 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 bunch Italian parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cornichons
- 1/2 teaspoon capers
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups canola oil
- *This can be made up to 2 days ahead of serving.
- Remove leaves from parsley and discard stems.
- Remove leaves from oregano and discard stems.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse until finely chopped.
- Store covered in refrigerator until ready for use.
- In preparation for the fries, the polenta should be made a day before serving.
- Combine chicken broth, half-and-half, thyme, garlic and bay leaf in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and strain.
- Pour liquid back into saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add polenta slowly in a stream to the boiling liquid, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until polenta is cooked. It will be cooked when it begins to pull away from the edges of the pan.
- Remove from heat and add salt, pepper and cheese. Adjust seasoning to taste preference.
- Pour polenta into a wax paper lined 9×13 cake pan and allow to come to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate until solid.
- *To be made immediately before serving
- To remove from cake pan, run a knife around the edge of the pan and upend polenta over a cutting board. Discard wax paper.
- Slice polenta into 1”x3” batons and dredge in flour.
- Heat canola oil in large skillet over high flame until very hot—polenta should sizzle when put in oil.
- Fry polenta until crispy and hot all the way through, approximately 3 minutes on each side.
- Drain and serve immediately.
- *The steak will need to be marinated for at least 4 hours before cooking, but it can marinate for longer.
- Combine steaks, garlic, olive oil and thyme in self-sealing plastic bag. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Remove steaks from marinade. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat large skillet over medium high flame.
- Once pan is hot, add 1 TBSP butter and allow to melt.
- Add steaks to hot pan and cook for 3 minutes on one side.
- Turn steaks over, add remaining butter and cook another 3 minutes.
- Remove steaks from heat and allow to rest 2 minutes before serving.
Plating the dish:
- Carve steaks on a sharp diagonal into 3 or 4 pieces.
- Place on warmed plate in overlapping pieces.
- Drizzle with Salsa Verde and add 3 polenta fries to each plate.