Chilled Apple & Orange Crumble w/ Strawberry Jelly & Custard
This dish was inspired by my mother in law who makes the best apple slice. She is a pastry chef and stopped working in the trade a few years ago, but treats us all well with plenty of cakes and sweet morsels.
I wanted to put a twist on one of her favorite recipes so this is what I came up with. Enjoy!
Chilled Apple and Orange Crumble with Fresh Strawberry Jelly and Custard
APPLE & ORANGE MIX
- 4 granny smith apples
- 1 orange
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted
- 2 punnets strawberries
- 1 tablespoon gelatine powder
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup coconut desiccated
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup nuts
- 1 cup biscuit crumbs sweet
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Apple & Orange Mix
- Peel the apples and dice; it doesn’t have to be perfect. It is nice to have some rustic-ness to this dish.
- Zest the orange and chop it until it is fine.
- Place apple and orange zest in a pot and mix in the rest of the ingredients. Bring to the heat slowly and cook for about 15 minutes or until the apple is just tender.
- Transfer to a bowl immediately to stop the cooking process.
- Chill in fridge.
- Run the strawberries through a juicer and skim any scum of the top.
- Let it settle in a bowl.
- Once settled, tip the juice into another bowl ensuring that any sediment remains.
- Place juice in a pot and bring slowly to the boil. Once it has come to the boil, take of heat and mix in gelatine.
- Ensure that the gelatine is mixed in well.
- Add sugar and lemon juice.
- Place on a cling wrap lined baking tray and place in fridge to set.
- This should take about 4 hours.
- Once set, place a cutting board over the tray and turn over to realise the jelly from tray.
- Cut into 1 cm cubes and place aside for plating
- Melt butter in microwave.
- Mix all ingredients together well.
- The consistency should be like wet sand.
- It should just stick together so as you touch it; it crumbles apart.
- Place in fridge for 15 minutes to bind
- Combine half the milk with egg yolks, sugar and vanilla and whisk until well combined.
- In a small pot combine the rest of ingredients.
- Place on the heat and stir continually until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Take off the heat and pour through a strainer into a bowl.
- Leave to cool in fridge.
- Divide Apple mix into four.
- Place a scone cutter in the middle of your plate and press in a portion of the apple with a teaspoon.
- Repeat the process with the crumble mix and remove scone cutter to reveal the crumble.
- Now, place five dollops of custard around the outside of the crumble and top each dollop with a square of the Jelly.
- I used some orange curls blanched in sugar syrup as a garnish.
- Just run a peeler around the outside of an orange and blanch in equal quantity of water and sugar to take away the bitterness. Roll gently and place on top.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!