Chilled Apple & Orange Crumble w/ Strawberry Jelly & Custard
This dish was inspired by my mother in law who makes the best apple slice. She is a pastry chef and stopped working in the trade a few years ago, but treats us all well with plenty of cakes and sweet morsels.
I wanted to put a twist on one of her favorite recipes so this is what I came up with. Enjoy!
Chilled Apple and Orange Crumble with Fresh Strawberry Jelly and Custard
APPLE & ORANGE MIX
- 4 granny smith apples
- 1 orange
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted
- 2 punnets strawberries
- 1 tablespoon gelatine powder
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup coconut desiccated
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup nuts
- 1 cup biscuit crumbs sweet
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Apple & Orange Mix
- Peel the apples and dice; it doesn’t have to be perfect. It is nice to have some rustic-ness to this dish.
- Zest the orange and chop it until it is fine.
- Place apple and orange zest in a pot and mix in the rest of the ingredients. Bring to the heat slowly and cook for about 15 minutes or until the apple is just tender.
- Transfer to a bowl immediately to stop the cooking process.
- Chill in fridge.
- Run the strawberries through a juicer and skim any scum of the top.
- Let it settle in a bowl.
- Once settled, tip the juice into another bowl ensuring that any sediment remains.
- Place juice in a pot and bring slowly to the boil. Once it has come to the boil, take of heat and mix in gelatine.
- Ensure that the gelatine is mixed in well.
- Add sugar and lemon juice.
- Place on a cling wrap lined baking tray and place in fridge to set.
- This should take about 4 hours.
- Once set, place a cutting board over the tray and turn over to realise the jelly from tray.
- Cut into 1 cm cubes and place aside for plating
- Melt butter in microwave.
- Mix all ingredients together well.
- The consistency should be like wet sand.
- It should just stick together so as you touch it; it crumbles apart.
- Place in fridge for 15 minutes to bind
- Combine half the milk with egg yolks, sugar and vanilla and whisk until well combined.
- In a small pot combine the rest of ingredients.
- Place on the heat and stir continually until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Take off the heat and pour through a strainer into a bowl.
- Leave to cool in fridge.
- Divide Apple mix into four.
- Place a scone cutter in the middle of your plate and press in a portion of the apple with a teaspoon.
- Repeat the process with the crumble mix and remove scone cutter to reveal the crumble.
- Now, place five dollops of custard around the outside of the crumble and top each dollop with a square of the Jelly.
- I used some orange curls blanched in sugar syrup as a garnish.
- Just run a peeler around the outside of an orange and blanch in equal quantity of water and sugar to take away the bitterness. Roll gently and place on top.