Spaghetti Aglio e Olio (Spaghetti w/ Garlic and Olive Oil)
Literally translated, aglio e olio means garlic & olive oil (extra virgin of course). This simple, yet flavorful dish, has become one of the most popular Italian pasta dishes.
If you don’t absolutely love quality extra virgin olive oil and sauteed golden garlic, then you won’t like this recipe. Those of you that do, well, you’ll know exactly what a simply magnificent Italian creation this is.
I have said it numerous times before and I stand by my words to this day: If there were no such things as good extra virgin olive oil and garlic, I would not have become nor continue to be a chef.
They are my absolute 2 favorite ingredients and in this dish, the Italians let these ingredients shine in simplicity. You can use the same recipe for different types of pasta like fettuccine.
Enjoy this classic spaghetti aglio e olio recipe!
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
- 500 grams spaghetti
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt flakes
- pepper grinder
- fresh parmesan cheese
- small red chillis
- Chop the chilies.
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Cook the pasta in the water until al dente and drain.
- Place the pasta in a large mixing bowl and coat lightly with a little oil.
- Meanwhile in a large pan pour a liberal amount of olive oil and place on medium high heat.
- Saute the garlic (& chilli peppers if using) season with a little salt and pepper.
- Cook the garlic until it is slightly golden and nutty, add the parsley and pour the pans contents over the still warm pasta in the bowl, toss immediately.
- Serve with a crisp white wine, and some crusty bread to soak up the garlic oil in the bottom of the bowl.