Shrimp & Corn Chowder
Welcome to the delicious world of seafood chowders! Today, we’re going to dive into a mouthwatering bowl of shrimp and corn chowder.
This hearty and comforting soup is the perfect blend of succulent shrimp, sweet corn, and savory broth, all coming together in a warm and satisfying bowl of goodness. Whether you’re a seafood lover or just looking to impress your guests with a delectable homemade soup, this recipe is sure to become a new favorite in your kitchen.
This shrimp and corn chowder recipe is not only incredibly delicious, but it’s also easy to make. With just a few simple steps and readily available ingredients, you can whip up a restaurant-quality meal in the comfort of your own home.
It’s a versatile dish that can be served as a hearty appetizer, a comforting main course, or even as a meal on its own with some crusty bread for dipping. Plus, it’s a great way to showcase the bounty of the sea and the sweetness of corn in a single bowl.
1. Peel the shrimp and save the shells for the broth. If you need help with this step, check out our guide on cleaning and peeling shrimp.
2. Peel the vegetables, except for 2 of the potatoes, and slice them thinly.
3. Place them into a pot with a drizzle of vegetable oil and cook together with the shrimp shells and the corn.
4. Add about 2 liters (half a gallon) of water and the 2 un-chopped potatoes.
5. When the vegetables are fully cooked, remove the 2 potatoes and cut them into cubes.
6. Add the lime juice and sweet cream and blend thoroughly, then strain everything through a fine sieve.
7. Before serving, bring the soup back to the boil and add the leftover potatoes and shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes.
You can make this shrimp and corn chowder with frozen shrimp as well, but it won’t be quite as flavorful. The shells from the fresh shrimp gives the broth a fantastic flavor. However, you could achieve the same fantastic flavor of fresh shrimp with the addition of a bit of shrimp or prawn oil.
Shrimp and Corn Chowder
- 500 g potatoes
- 250 g shrimp (raw whole shrimp preferred)
- 500 g frozen corn
- 30 ml vegetable oil (neutral flavor)
- 100 ml cooking cream
- 2 onions
- 1 pepper
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/8 celery
- 1 lime
- Peel the shrimp and save the shells for the broth.
- Peel the vegetables, except for 2 of the potatoes, and slice them thinly.
- Place them into a pot with a drizzle of vegetable oil and cook together with the shrimp shells and corn.
- Add about 2 liters of water (half a gallon) and the 2 un-chopped potatoes.
- When the vegetables are fully cooked, remove the 2 potatoes and cut them into cubes.
- Add the lime juice and cooking cream and blend thoroughly, then strain everything through a fine sieve.
- Before serving, bring the soup back to the boil and add the leftover potatoes and shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Related: Mediterranean Fish Soup with Shrimp & Mussels
Related: Fennel & Seafood Chowder
Related: Nigerian Fisherman Soup
Related: 30 Iconic Mediterranean Foods
Related: Veggie Cream Soup with Pesto & Dried Tomatoes
Related: Roast Vegetable Soup with Basil