Roast Vegetable Soup with Basil
Every time I make this roast vegetables soup I slightly change the ingredients depending on what’s in the fridge or the leftovers I have from a roast dinner. The quantities however stay the same, but please allow your imagination to run when making this soup and use whatever
I personally enjoy the different flavors every time I make it using slightly different ingredients.
Roast Vegetable Soup w/ Basil
- 2 tins tomatoes whole peeled
- 4 clove garlic
- 2 onions
- 300 grams vegetables solid roasting, such as pumpkin, sweet potato etc
- 200 grams vegetables softer roasting, such as zucchini, squash, mushrooms etc
- 6 sprigs rosemary
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons basil
- blue cheese
- olive oil extra virgin
- sea salt flakes
- black pepper freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (350 fahrenheit).
- Peel and roughly chop the solid roasting vegetables and cover liberally with olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper and roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile roughly chop the softer roasting veg.
- Peel the onion and garlic and dice finely.
- After the solid vegetables have been in for 30 minutes turn them and add the softer vegetables after tossing them in oil, roast a further 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large pot over medium heat, soften the onion and garlic in a splash of olive oil until soft.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and the stock.
- Tie the rosemary sprigs together and leaving one length of string long, tie it to the handle of the pot.
- Bring the contents of the pot to boil and then reduce to simmer.
- Once the vegetables have roasted remove them from the oven and add to the pot and simmer for 3 hours (you may need to add some water over those hours as the soup may dry up slightly).
- Once it has all cooked for the 3 hours, using a stick blender or a food processor puree until the soup is a smoother consistency (although not too long as you want to maintain a slightly chunky consistency).
- Serve with crusty bread on the side and crumbled blue cheese and chopped basil on top.
Related: Pumpkin Cream Soup with Saffron & Melting Chestnuts
Related: Apple and Turnip Soup with Goat Cheese
Related: Butternut Pumpkin Soup with Rosemary and Ginger
Related: Creamy Mulligatawny Soup
Related: Butternut Squash Soup with Star Anise