Chicken is a popular choice for holiday potluck in Hawaii and this recipe is a true crown pleaser.
After all, who doesn’t love deliciously sweet-and-savory fried chicken? It’s made with with either chicken thighs or wings coated with starch and deep fried, then covered in the most finger-licking sticky shoyu sauce with brown sugar and honey.
You can add red pepper flakes for an extra kick of heat too and some green onion for a lovely contrast of color. Enjoy!
- Remove the skin and fat off the chicken thighs if they have any and chop the them into smaller pieces (about 4 pieces per thigh depending on the size).
- Dredge the chicken through cornstarch, making sure it's coated all over. place it in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- As it chills, the chicken juices will bind with the starch and create a coating around the chicken. This is an important step, because otherwise the starch will dissipate into the oil while cooking and the meat will not be as crispy.
- In a large bowl combine the shoyu, apple cider vinegar, sesame oil and add in the roasted sesame seeds, sugar, chili garlic sauce, honey and green onions and stir until well-mixed.
- Put a frying pan on high heat and add about half an inch's worth of vegetable oil to heat up.
- When the oil has heated and you're ready to cook, turn the heat down to medium/ medium-high.
- Add the chicken pieces, one at a time and stir carefully to separate the pieces. As they fry they'll begin to form a golden crust around them.
- Cook each side thoroughly for around 5-6 minutes on both sides, then when you're just about ready to take them off, turn the heat up again to brown the crust.
- Transfer into a separate dish lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. and dip in the shoyu sauce.
- Once they've drained, dip in shoyu sauce one piece at a time to make sure they are all evenly coated.
Related: Shredded Chicken Breast with Coleslaw
Related: Grilled Red Curry Chicken
Related: Marinated Chicken Drumsticks with Honey, Garlic & Soy Sauce
Related: Soy & Sweet Chili Chicken Wings
Related: Asian Chicken & Lime Soup