- 4 eggs
- 200 grams French beans stems removed, par blanched
- 2 roma egg tomatoes, seeded and quartered
- 1 Lebanese seeded and cut to 1-2 cm (1 inch) pieces
- purple onion cut into 1 cm pieces
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives pitted
- 10-20 basil leaves
- few sprig thyme
- 8 anchovy fillets
- 4 x 130 grams tuna steaks approx 2 cm (1 inch) thick OR 1 x 400 gram (14 oz) tin of tuna packed in oil (packed in water for a lighter version)
- 5 medium new potatoes or Chat potatoes, cut to approx 2-3 cm (1.5 inch) halves or quarters
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons baby capers finely chopped
- white vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- olive oil extra virgin
- sea salt flakes
- black pepper freshly ground
- Peel the garlic cloves and cut in half lengthwise and add to about 400 ml (14 oz) extra virgin olive oil (let marinate at least a few hours).
- Combine in a mixing bow 2 tsp dijon mustard, capers, thyme, approx 80 ml (3 oz) of white wine vinegar, 80 ml (3 oz) of garlic infused extra virgin olive oil and season with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Whisk ingredients together and set aside.
- Place potatoes in a med sized pot, cover potatoes with cold salted water and bring to the boil allow to boil for about 3-5 minutes, strain and set aside.
- Cut each tomato quarter into 4.
- Place the tomato, cucumber, capsicum, beans, onion, olives and basil leaves in large bowl.
- In a non-stick fry pan place a few tbsps of olive oil and fry potatoes until golden on all sides, season with sea salt and cracked pepper, add to the other vegetables in bowl.
- If using the tinned tuna: add the drained tuna to the bowl as well and break into large chunks.
- To poach eggs place 6 cups of water with 1tbsp vinegar in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Once boiling remove from the heat and add eggs one at a time, and return to the heat. Remove eggs from the heat when the whites are fully cooked but the yolks are still soft to the touch, drain off excess water and set aside.
- If using the fresh tuna: wipe the potato pan clean and sear the tuna in some olive oil in the pan (approx 1 minute for very beautifully rare, do this while the eggs poach).
- Drizzle the contents of the bowl with some of the prepared dressing.
- Place tossed salad onto plates, top with seared tuna steaks and then top with still warm poached eggs and 2 anchovies each, make a slight incision in each yolk allowing yolk to start running and serve immediately with some crusty French baguettes.
- (The above presentation can be altered for a more rustic look by cutting the tuna into cubes before searing and tossing it with the salad).
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!