Ciorba de Burta (Romanian Tripe Soup)
Of oriental origin, tripe soup is a favorite in Romanian cuisine. Not at all complicated to make, tripe soup has a delicious taste and its preparation is based on a few secrets.
Tripe soup is one of the most beloved Romanian soups. It is usually eaten during holidays or on special occasions, served steaming hot with hot peppers, garlic, sour cream and horseradish.
Many people still feel intimidated by this soup and avoid cooking it at home, preferring to order it at a restaurant. I want to show you that it is not difficult to prepare tripe soup at home and that you’ll get a much better result than that served at most restaurants if you follow this recipe.
Here’s how to make the best tripe soup at home.
The Traditional Romanian Tripe Soup Recipe:
One of the secrets of tripe soup is the preparation of the tripe, the main ingredient. It is recommended to leave the tripe for 2-3 hours in a bowl of water with a tablespoon of baking soda. Following this, the meat must be very well cleaned, washed several times, seasoned with salt and then boiled for 3 hours.
Romanian Tripe Soup/ Ciorba de burta
- 3 onions
- 3 Carrots
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 kg pre-cooked tripe
- 1 celery
- 1 kg beef bones
- 4 Eggs
- 2 parsley roots
- Salt and pepper
- 500 gr Cream
- Bay Leaves
How to Make it:
- Into a large pot, put 4.5 liters of water and bring to the boil.
- When the water reaches boiling point, add the beef bones. Leave to boil for about an hour on a low heat, removing the froth whenever necessary.
- Meanwhile, wash and clean the vegetables, cut into quarters and add to the soup to boil along with the bones.
- When the soup beings to boil again, add the finely chopped, pre-cooked tripe.
- Now add a few bay leaves and peppercorns and let everything simmer on a low heat for another hour or so until the meat is very well cooked.
- Turn off the heat, remove the bones, and use a strainer to remove the belly and boiled vegetables. Pass the remaining soup through a sieve several times to keep it perfectly clear.
- Choose a few pieces of the boiled vegetables to return to the soup along with the finely chopped belly.
- Take the meat from the boiled bones, cut it into cubes and add to the soup.
- Puree the rest of the cooked vegetables in a blender and add to the soup.
- The final step in making the perfect tripe soup recipe is as follows:
- Break the four eggs into a bowl and mix with the cream.
- Add a bit of hot soup to them, stirring all the while so lumps do not form.
- When the mixture has obtained the desired consistency, pour everything into the soup and mix quickly.