- 4 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 4 tomatoesquartered
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1½ teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaveschopped
This sweet & sour tomatoes recipe is one of my all-time favourite tomato dishes. From Rashmi at Rohet Garh, it epitomises the food of the desert – simple yet flavoursome. It can be served with other vegetable dishes and makes a great accompaniment to grilled fish or chicken, especially during summer when fresh, light flavours are in demand.
How To Prepare Sweet & Sour Tomatoes
1. Heat the oil in a kadhai or wok and fry the cumin and mustard seeds over a medium heat until they splutter. Add the tomato and stir until coated with the seeds, then stir in the ground spices, salt and sugar.
2. Add 1 cup (250 ml) water, then reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes – not too long, or the tomato will break down. Sprinkle with the fresh coriander to serve.
Check out more delicious Indian recipes by Christine Manfield. Photo credit: Anson Smart.