- 6 pieces lamb shanks
- 1 teaspoon ras-el-hanout
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 onionsthickly sliced
- 2 garlic clovespeeled, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon saffron
- 1 litre lamb stock
- 10 grams Chermoula
- 100 grams stoneless dried prunes
- 100 grams stonelesss dried dates
- salt to taste
- 2 preserved lemonsrind only, chopped
- 50 grams Kidney beanssoaked for 8 hours in warm water
- 100 grams small desiree potatocut it into 4
- 100 grams baby carrots
- 10 grams shallots
Lamb Shank Tagine is a traditional Moroccan dish that’s very popular throughout North Africa. The lamb is very succulent and full of spices – a trademark of the Moroccan cuisine.
This Lamb Shank Tagine recipe was shared by Chef Wasim Shaikh of Kazbah Darling Harbour, a perfect choice for trying out authentic Moroccan dishes in Sydney, Australia.
Lamb Shank Tagine Recipe
- Preheat of the oven to 160C/315F.
- Mix the ras-el-hanout, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, smoked sweet paprika, ground cumin, prunes, freshly ground black pepper and ground turmeric together in a bowl.
- Heat a large pan until smoking hot, then add a tablespoon of the olive oil and sear the lamb shanks on all sides until golden-brown all over. Remove the lamb shanks and set aside.
- In the same pan and fry the onion until caramelized. Then add chermoula garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add the lamb shanks back to the pan and stir well, then add all the remaining tajine ingredients – except for the Shallots and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan with a lid and place in the oven for two half hours, or until the lamb is tender. Taste and season, if needed.
- Remove some of lamb shank sauce and cook the kidney beans for 30 min then add potato. Cook it until both is cooked
- Place the Traditional earthenware Tajine on the Hot plate with Lamb Shank in the middle with lot of sauce, add cooked kidney bean, potato and baby carrot and Prunes and cover it with tajine lid. let it Boiled until the steam is develop and garnish with Shallot. Serve with warm fluffy Couscous