200 grams rice
Homemade fried tomato
Rice with fried eggs is a staple food in Cuban homes. so we are going to discover the authentic original recipe for this traditional dish, whose origin is not very clear whether it is Spanish or whether it comes from a Caribbean country. The truth is that it is very popular in our cuisine and it is very common to find it in bars and restaurants.
How to Make Arroz con Huevo Frito (Rice and Fried Egg):
- To make a Cuban rice, we are going to start by preparing a tomato sauce with a lot of flavor with four ripe tomatoes, half an onion, two cloves of garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- We are going to crush the tomato, onion and garlic and we are going to cook it over medium heat for half an hour, until we get a consistent sauce. If the end result is a bit acidic, you can rectify it by adding sugar.
How to Make Rice:
- To get a loose rice, we put water to boil in a saucepan with some onion hulls and a clove of garlic.
- When it starts to boil, add the rice and stir it constantly with a wooden spoon to prevent it from sticking for about 15-16 minutes. Once it is al dente, we strain it and run it through cold water.
- We already have the tomato sauce and the rice ready.
- Now we have to prepare the fried plantain. We will use a ripe banana, which we will first cut in half and then each part in half lengthwise. We will fry it in abundant oil until it is golden. We will remove it to a kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
- And, we have the last item on the plate: the fried eggs. We will do it almost grilled, with very little oil. If possible, we can opt for a pan with a lid and cook it for a couple of minutes.
- We already have all the ingredients ready.
- Before serving it, we will have to heat the rice a little since we have passed it through cold water to stop cooking.
- We can use a mold or a small bowl to shape the rice, or use it as a cradle to accommodate the rest of the ingredients.
- We will cover the rice with the homemade tomato sauce that we have prepared and we will accompany it with the egg and the fried banana.