This delectable traditional Kenyan dish is made with precooked beans and maize that are then fried. It is a unique Kenyan dish that frequently includes a range of veggies, creating total deliciousness.
Pre-cooked and fried black-eyed peas together with freshly picked corn, celery, carrots, onions, and tomatoes make this delicious dish that is suitable for family get-togethers and everyday dinner.
Enjoy this classic githeri recipe!
- 1/2 tsp ginger grated
- 1 tbsp garlic grated
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cups pre-cooked black-eyed peas
- 1 cup pre-cooked corn kernels
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes
- 2 tsp beef seasoning powder
Precooking of Githeri
- Place the well-washed beans and corn in a pressure cooker, add some salt and 3 cups of water. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Heat the canola oil in a saucepan and add the onions, ginger, and garlic and fry for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and bay leaves and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Blend the tomatoes and add to the mixture, giving it a good stir. Cover to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook for another 3 minutes, then add the pre-cooked beans and corn (githeri), and some seasoning.
- Simmer for 10 minutes to allow the githeri to blend into the sauce, then add the green, red, and yellow bell peppers and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with any side dish of your choice.