Chocolate Strawberry Cake
This chocolate strawberry cake is a new addition to my cake recipe collection and features lots of delicious chocolate – just the way I like it.
The strong chocolate flavor is delicately complemented by a strawberry syrup and jelly, resulting in a deliciously bittersweet taste. But as the flavors are quite intense, I recommend eating small portions to properly appreciate the cake.
This chocolate strawberry cake is quite simple to make. It has a brownie-type base, a chocolate truffle cream, a strawberry syrup, made by slightly reducing the fruit over a low heat, and a strawberry jelly, adding color, texture and sweetness. Simple baking techniques, intense flavors.
Chocolate Strawberry Cake
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 25 g butter
Strawberry jelly and syrup:
- 300 g strawberries
- 50 g sugar
- 100 ml water
- 1 gelatin sheet
- Melt the chocolate together with the butter over a low heat. Stir the mixture util smooth. When completely homogenized, turn off the heat. Add the vanilla and sugar and stir again. Set the cream aside.
- In another bowl, gently combine the flour with the cocoa powder, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
- Separate the eggs. Put the whites in the mixer bowl and the yolks into the chocolate cream.
- Mix the egg yolks into the chocolate cream, then add the dry ingredients, folding in carefully. Next add the cooking cream and milk, which will thin out the mixture.
- Mix the egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm. Once you have a nice foam, fold them into the chocolate cream with upward movements.
- Preheat the oven to medium heat (180 °C/ 356 °F) and line a 20/30 cm (8×12 inches) baking tray with parchment paper. Pour the mixture into the tray and smooth it out. Bake the sponge for 25 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the tray in the oven for another 5 minutes, then transfer the sponge to a cooling rack.
- Wash the strawberries and break off the stems. Cut them into pieces and cook them over medium heat along with the sugar and water. Let them boil for 5-6 minutes until they soften and lose all of their juice.
- Strain the strawberries through a fine sieve. Return the liquid to the heat and boil for 10 more minutes to reduce the liquid to a syrup. Set aside.
- Put the strawberries in a bowl.
- Soak the gelatin sheet in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Set aside 150 ml (2/3 cup) of the strawberry syrup. Mix the rest of it with the gelatin and pour it over the strawberries.
Chocolate truffle cream:
- Bring the whipping cream to a boil. Turn off the heat. Add broken chocolate pieces and the diced butter. Rest for 2 minutes, then stir vigorously. Leave the cream to cool. Once cooled, place in the freezer for 30-40 minutes.
- When the cream has cooled down well, mix until it turns lighter and becomes aerated.
- Cut the sponge into 3 pieces of 13/30 cm (5×12 inches) each. Soak each piece of the cake in the leftover strawberry syrup.
- Place one of the layers on a platter and cover it with a little more than a third of the cream. Place the second layer on top and cover with another third of the cream. Place the last layer on top and press gently. Cover with the rest of the cream.
- Decorate the cake with strawberry jelly and white chocolate chips.
Related: Chocolate Cake With Coffee Mousse
Related: Serano Cake: Greek Chocolate Cake
Related: No Flour Poached Pear Chocolate Cake
Related: Amandine (Romanian Chocolate Cake)
Related: Caramel Strawberry Cake
Related: Chocolate Strawberry Cookies