Famous Butter Chicken Recipe (Murgh Makhani)
This famous recipe was developed by Moti Mahal restaurant in New Delhi, in the early 1960s.
I use canned crushed tomatoes for this recipe. However you can always use an equal amount of fresh tomatoes, when in season. Dry fenugreek leaves can be difficult to find, but they are a must for this recipe.
- 1 piece cinnamon stick 1 inch piece
- 2 whole green cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- piece fresh ginger 2 inch peeled
- 4 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 1 pound chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cubed
- ½ cup whole milk yogurt plain
- 1 ½ cup tomatoes canned, crushed
- ¼ cup cashews unsalted, roasted
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil or any vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons butter unsalted
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon dry fenugreek leaves crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt or as desired
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Blend the ‘Paste’ ingredients in a spice or coffee grinder. Set aside.
- In medium size mixing bowl, add the ‘Marinade’ ingredients.
- Add the ‘Paste’ ingredients to the ‘Marinade’ ingredients and mix. Set aside.
- Puree the ‘Puree’ ingredients in a blender. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, add oil and butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add the ‘Marinade’ ingredients and cook for 10 minutes. Stir once every other minute.
- Add the ‘Puree’ ingredients and mix. Lower heat and cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Add cream, fenugreek leaves, salt and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Cook covered for 5 minutes or until butter starts floating on top of the sauce.