Brunzli – Swiss Chocolate Cookies Recipe
Brunsli – these chocolate cookies are great any time of the year, but during Christmas times they are a must with my family. Perfectly baked they are crisp and crunchy on the outside with a soft center and a delightful nutty flavor.
Originating from Switzerland, Brunzli cookies are a delightful treat that showcase the nation’s rich chocolate heritage. These irresistible cookies are renowned for their intense chocolate flavor, delicate texture, and charming appearance. Biting into a Brunzli is like savoring a moment of pure bliss as the luscious chocolate melts in your mouth, leaving behind a symphony of cocoa notes that linger on your palate.
Let’s dive in and uncover the magic of Brunzli cookies with this great recipe!
- 150 grams granulated sugar
- 240 grams ground almond powder with skin
- 1 pinch clove powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 12 grams cocoa powder
- 20 grams all purpose flour
- 100 grams dark bitter sweet chocolate
- 15 millilitres kirsch
- 2 egg whites
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add white of egg and stir until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Melt the chocolate in in a double boiler and pour on to the dry ingredients.
- Add the Kirsch and knead into a smooth dough. Just ensure it is well combined, the dough does not to be worked for a lengthy period
- Sprinkle your working surface with a little sugar and then roll out dough approximately on 12 mm (1/2 inch) thick.
- Using your Christmas cutter set punch out the various figurines and forms and place them on tray lined with baking paper. Alternatively use a round cutter of any size you wish. Sprinkle the cookies with a little sugar.
- Let them dry in room temperature (well ventilated) for a minimum of 6 hours but better yet over night.
- Bake for about 5 to 6 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 240 °C (465 °F). The cookies will be very moist when they come out of the oven but will dry up during the cooling process
- Cool on a wire rack completely before serving or storing in an airtight container