Śledź W Oleju (Polish Herring in Oil)
Fish is quite a staple in many Polish people’s homes throughout the year. So it’s no surprise it makes an appearance often at Christmas and party meals. Herring in Oil is a popular choice as an appetizer for such occasions. The fish essentially marinates in a mix of oil, onion and spices, and becomes deliciously savory in the process.
Śledź W Oleju (Herring in Oil)
- 8-9 oz herring salt fillets
- 1 onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup vegetable oil or sunflower oil to cover the fish
- 3 allspice seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper freshly ground if possible
- 2 bay leaves
- Begin by soaking the herring fillets in water for at least 1- 2 hours. If your fillets are especially salted, change the water and leave to soak for another hour or so.
- Once the herring has done soaking, drain well and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Half the onion and slice each half thinly. Place it in a bowl or a jar and pour the oil, pepper, allspice and the bay leaves. Stir to mix everything together well.
- Slice the herring into bite-sized pieces and add to the bowl.
- Mix everything well once more and place in the fridge for 1 hour or more for the flavors to mingle. It's best, however, to prepare this dish 2-3 days in advance before serving.
- Serve with hearty rye bread.