Romanian Vegan Donuts Recipe
Who doesn’t love donuts? These little balls of sweet dough are a crowd pleaser for young and old alike. Plain or stuffed, they’re delicious either way. That’s why I one day surprised my boys with these delicious vegan donuts, so good that no one believed they were vegan.
They were fluffy, soft, sweet – just right, and very tasty. I invite you to try my recipe for these easy to make vegan donuts.
- 650 g flour
- 20 g fresh yeast
- 100 ml soy milk
- 200-250 ml mineral water
- grated lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 sachet vanilla sugar
- 50 g margarine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
How to make VEGAN DONUTS:
- Put the soya milk on to heat.
- When hot, turn off the heat, add a spoonful of sugar and the yeast, stir and leave for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, sift the flour together with the salt and make a well in the middle.
- After 10 minutes, place the yeast in the well in the flour, add the grated lemon zest (to taste), the remaining sugar, vanilla sugar, melted margarine, and 200 ml (6.7 fl. oz) of mineral water.
- Start kneading gently.
- As you knead, you'll see if you need more mineral water.
- You should get a soft, elastic dough, easy to knead but not too sticky.
- Transfer the dough to the lightly floured work surface and knead for another 10 minutes.
- Finally, add the oil and knead until completely incorporated.
- Place the dough in a large bowl, sprinkle with a little flour, and cover with a clean kitchen towel.
- Leave the dough to rise in a warm place for an hour or until doubled in volume.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and roll it out into a thick sheet about 1cm (0.4 inch).
- Cut out circles using a round pastry cutter or a glass if you don't have a cutter.
- Leave the donuts to rise for another 20-30 minutes, then fry in hot vegetable oil.
- Place them on kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil, then serve with powdered sugar, fruit jam, honey… or anything you like.