Step into the world of sweet nostalgia with this delightful rhubarb pie recipe. Bursting with the tart and tangy goodness of fresh rhubarb, this pie is a comforting embrace of flavors from grandma’s kitchen. Each slice is a journey through the seasons, as the tender rhubarb meets its flaky, golden crust.
Try it and you will fall in love with this classic pie all over again!
- 180 g all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
- 150 g very cold salted butter
- 3-5 tbsp. ice water
Filling and topping:
- 200 g thin rhubarb stalks
- 1/2 small lemon zest and juice
- 2-3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- 3-4 tbsp flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp turbinado sugar
How to Make the Pie Crust:
- Mix together flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Use a cheese slicer, if you have one, to slice the butter thinly – if not, you can simply dice the butter with a knife.
- Add the sliced or diced butter to the dry ingredients, and using your fingers or a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until dough is crumbly but there are still some small visible pieces of butter.
- Drizzle with ice water, 1 tbsp at a time, and mix gently with a fork until dough just comes together, do not knead the dough.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it on a piece of plastic wrap.
- Flatten into a disc, wrap in the plastic wrap and place in fridge for at least one hour but preferably overnight.
The Assembly and Baking:
- Let the dough rest for a few minutes at room temperature.
- Roll out the dough into a large circle about 1/8 – 1/4 inch (3-5 mm) thick, on a lightly floured surface. Make sure to roll and turn the dough so it doesn’t stick to the surface.
- Using the rolling pin, transfer the dough to a baking sheet covered with baking paper.
- Slice the rhubarb into batons and place them in a bowl. Toss with the lemon zest, juice, granulated sugar and cornstarch.
- Arrange the rhubarb batons in a decorative pattern on top of the dough, leaving a border around the edges. Fold the dough over the fruit and press gently to seal.
- Transfer the galette to the freezer for 15 minutes, meanwhile preheat the oven to 200°C (392 ℉).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the crust turns golden. Enjoy!
Related: What Does Rhubarb Taste Like?
Related: Mallard Duck Breast with Rhubarb, Fennel and Honey
Related: 20 Naturally Pink Fruits
Related: Banoffee Pie Recipe
Related: Homemade apple pie