1 loaf Cuban breadFrench bread, Italian bread, or 4 individual 7-inch loaves
3 or 4 slices roast pork
3 slices hamor cooked ham
3 slices Swiss cheese
6 dill picklesor 16 sandwich sliced pickles
1/4 cup Yellow mustard
This sandwich gets its name from the island where it was invented. In Cuba, it has been part of the menus of restaurants and cafes for more than 200 years. But it was the Cuban community in the United States that popularized this sandwich to the world. It is one of the specialties of Miami and Tampa, in Florida.
The Cuban sandwich is made with Cuban bread filled with roast pork, ham, pickles, cheese and mustard.
All of them end up being cooked on a grill or sandwich maker. The heat will make the ingredients compact and their juices mix, resulting in a crispy crust and a sandwich that you can’t stop eating. In the original recipe, roast pork is used, cooking a pork loin previously marinated in a special sauce in the oven. In the blog you can find the recipe to prepare the perfect roast pork. Perfect to take as a side dish or to make a perfect Cuban sandwich. If you can’t wait to prepare this sandwich, you can substitute the roast pork for a ham or roast ham. The result will be equally top-notch.
How to Make Sandwich Cubano:
- In a frying pan we heat a knob of butter. When it has melted and is hot add the roast pork.
- We brown on both sides and reserve it. I have used roast pork for this recipe, but if you don’t have homemade roast pork. We can substitute it for roasted ham, which we will find in any large surface area.
- Making this sandwich with roast pork gives it an unbeatable point. If you do not have it, do not stop preparing it, we change it for another type of pork cold cuts without problem.
- We cut the loaf of bread in half and spread a generous layer of mustard on one of the parts.
- Now we start with the roast pork slices that we brown in the pan.
- Always directly on the mustard, on top we cover it with the ham, the pickles in vinegar and the sliced Swiss cheese.
- We place the top layer of the bread and with a kitchen brush we spread it on the outside, on both sides with butter.
- We put the sandwich in a sandwich maker and toast them until golden.
- If you don’t have a sandwich maker, we can use a frying pan. With a slotted spoon we keep the sandwich pressed at all times so that it remains squashed and the cheese melts.
- Thus, in a few minutes we can enjoy a sandwich with a name and surname that could not be more good.
Perfect to take to work or to enjoy a picnic or beach snack. A simple and tasty treat.