- Rocotoswith the top cut open
- 1/2 kg ground beef
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 Onion
- 2 hardboiled eggschopped
- 2 olives
- 6 slices fresh cheese
- 6 boiled Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- Salt & pepper
Rocoto Relleno is a healthy appetizer that originates from Arequipa and is emblematic of Peruvian cuisine. The pepper, famously served filled with creamy goodness, has conquered the hearts of tourists and locals alike. The base of the dish is the Rocoto, a type of hot Peruvian pepper, which is filled with minced meat and cheese. It is very striking for its color and presentation, not to mention its very soft texture and delicious mixture of spicy and cheesy flavors.
How to Cook Rocoto Relleno
- Chop the onion into small cubes and fry it with three tablespoons of oil. When it begins to brown, season with salt and cumin, then mix and add the ground meat, stirring well.
- Then, fry for a few minutes until the meat changes color. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper to taste and cook a few more minutes.
- Next, add the chopped parsley, stir well, and add the olives and chopped eggs. Mix and remove it from the heat.
- Fill the Rocotos with this preparation and place them in a baking dish, covering each one with the lid that was removed and hold it in place with a cocktail stick. Place in an oven preheated to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Finally, place a slice of cheese on top of each potato and put it in the baking dish along with the Rocotos.
- Sprinkle it all with milk and put it back in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve each Rocoto with a potato.
If you love Peruvian food, check out our article on the top 15 Peruvian foods (recipes and photos included).
Photo credit: https://peru.info/